TITLE: Accounting and Payroll Specialist
REPORTS TO: Finance Director
PEERS, a non profit organization, is a diverse community of people with mental health experiences. Our mission is to promote innovative peer-based wellness strategies. We create culturally-rich, community-based mental health programs that honor diverse experiences and eliminate stigma and discrimination.
We envision a world where people can freely choose among many mental health options that address the needs of the whole person. We see a future where people with mental health experiences are valued for their essential contributions to society.
The Accounting and Payroll Specialist will be responsible for leading the day-to-day fiscal operations including maintenance and analysis of accounting records, prepare journal entries and reconciles ledger accounts; ensures compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and organization’s policies, procedures and contracts. The candidate will also perform various clerical payroll tasks such as processing semi-monthly payrolls, entering payroll data into QB, verifying accuracy of figures and computations, and balancing and reconciling accounts
- Oversee accounts ledgers and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures
- Perform accounting duties such as accounts payable, print checks, bank and credit card reconciliations, 1099/1096, DE542, W9s and contracts/MOUs management
- Process semi-monthly payroll and track vacation and sick time, accrual reconciliation, knowledgeable of payroll practice and labor laws
- Manage medical, dental, vision, life insurance and 401K benefits – enrolling and terminating employees
- Consultants contracts tracking, and Purchase Order assignment
- Support with audit preparation and maintains finance department files
SPECIFICATIONS, QUALIFICATIONS, AND COMPETENCY FACTORS
Successful candidate is a mature leader with three years accounting and payroll experience, three years of QuickBooks experience, great attention to detail, strong written communications skills, and proficiency in Excel is required. Candidate can effectively communicate and relate well with others in difficult situations and have the ability to resolve issues in a timely manner; must have ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and unwavering commitment to PEERS’ mission
- Minimum of BA is preferred
- Experience as a mental health consumer or a family member is strongly preferred
- Proficiency in Google Docs, Gmail and Adobe Acrobat is preferred
WORKING CONDITIONS AND JOB SETTING
- Program headquarters is a standard office setting on the second floor of a multi-story building, requiring the use of an elevator for access.
- Innovative, mental health consumer driven organization with strong ties to the community.
- Business hours are Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 5:00pm, with some weekends and evenings.
Compensation: This is a full time position with a competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision, 401(k), and vacation. Annual compensation range is $55,000-$65,000 a year.
To Apply: Please complete ALL application steps to be considered for this position. This position will remain open until February 15, 2020.
- Submit a resume, cover letter, and supplemental questionnaire by e-mail to Nancy Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Accounting and Payroll Specialist as the subject line in the email.
- Supplemental questionnaire:
- Briefly describe the skills and tools you use to ensure that your tasks, reports are completed precisely with complete attention to detail.
- Describe a time when you worked with a team to revise or improve an accounting process. What role did you take and how did the team work together to get the job done?
- Which accounting and payroll software are you most familiar with?
- Do you identify as having lived mental health experience or do you have a family member with lived experience?
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performance by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.